Sunday, November 20, 2016

Cause I Choose To...

"Diversity isn't in my title and I prefer it to never be."

Over the last 30 days, 4 people have given me this statement or some variation of it. All were people of color. 3 were women. None of them intended to offend or throw shade on the fact that I am a "diversity" professional, but all tones and facial expressions seemed to indicate that working in/for/on the premise of diversity some how tainted ones overall ability to be successful.

At first I was upset- Fire Hot- at the inference that my CHOSEN path was the less desirable option. Then I was saddened by the fact that systematic oppression, for which I do the work I do, was so pervasive that it literally has built a sociopolitical hedge around diversity work within higher education that upwardly reaching professionals of color attempt at all cost to avoid.

Finally, as I move forward, always with the purpose of dismantling these oppressive systems, let me help some folks understand What I choose to do, and why I choose to do it.

1. I CHOOSE this work. Big CHOOSE. This is a consistent and autonomous decision. I picked this path. Throughout my career, I was never forced into a box. I largely picked the projects and focuses that I worked on. Another interesting fact about me professionally, in every position that I have ever held, I expanded the reach of that position. I am not cocky by any means, but I do a damn good job. Early on I noticed the implications of systematic racism in higher education. I made the decision to work against it. That decision has done a lot of good for several institutions and hundreds of marginalized folks who would have been in some way excluded from the academe.

2. I do this work for me. I feel it's what I've been purposes to do. My spiritual commitments and religious belief reinforce this for me. This work fills my cup. I change the world into a place that is less violent for marginalized folks to navigate. That's my daily when. That's my contribution, not just to my pockets but to this world. I believe in what I do.

3. I do this work so you don't have to. This stuff isn't easy and to be honest, I take a great deal of daily risk. I walk into battle daily to dismantle a system that was meant to oppress me. I have conversations with people who often don't understand my ability to be intelligent because of the color of my skin or gender. I prepare to be invalidated, aggressed, insulted, and assaulted because I know that that is what is necessary to counterbalance white supremacy in higher education. Although you definitely aren't as comfortable in the academe as your privileged peers, my contributions have largely secured your day to be typically void of overt racism and oppressions. And when you do run into that racism and oppression, I typically am the first place you run to for assistance. I then do the dirty work of fighting for you so you don't have to be the "angry POC" always talking about race in your department.

Of course this list goes on... but hopefully this helps some of y'all get why I am not ashamed to be a person of color working in diversity in higher education. If you still don't get it then go with this one...

4. Cause I'm grown and... Damnit I feel like it.

#blogpost

1 comment:

  1. Amen. Let me highlight your excellent points:
    1. I choose this work.
    2. I do this work for me.
    3. I do this work so you don't have to.
    4. Cause I'm grown and... Damnit I feel like it

    I have perhaps one addition to #3: "I do this work so my children don't have to." but even as I say this and am hopeful, I am struck with reality of one of the tenets of CRT, that racism is pervasive in society, and my hope is tempered. Thanks, MoJo.

    ReplyDelete